This Week in Gears: February 2 – 8
It’s time for another edition of This Week in Gears, featuring a minor title update and more!
As you probably figured out from the numbering, 12.0.1 is a minor title update, mostly focused on fixing issues with the install manager feature, alongside giving Gabe’s in-game model a facelift!
Note: This title update will go live tomorrow (2nd Feb) at 10:00AM EST.
– Ranked players are no longer removed from a match when loading into a game with a player who does not have the multiplayer content installed.
– While in new game plus, a host with just the campaign content install will now see other players skins.
– Users without the multiplayer content installed can no longer access multiplayer lobbies via invites.
– Players will no longer have their entry GP removed if a squad member doesn’t have the multiplayer content installed and gets kicked from the match.
– The installer manager UI will no longer appear while on xCloud.
– Water will no longer flicker on PC.
– With today’s title update we disabled the in-game text chat by default, we’ve done this to create a safer and more comfortable environment for all of our players. If you wish to re-enable text chat, you can do so by going to Options > Game > Text Chat.
– Playlists that are 4v4 will no longer fill to 5v5 with bots when bot backfilling is enabled.
– Gabe’s textures have been improved!
– The Spirit Walk achievement will now reliably unlock.
This week we are bringing back Gridiron to our weekly versus event and with this event we will be introducing the following changes:
- The endzone can now be contested, allowing longer fights to take place within the zone.
- The initial flag spawn timer will be delayed by 15 seconds.
We spoke to the team who worked on this who were happy to share with us why they made these changes:
“For battles in the endzone, we wanted to provide more opportunities for the defensive team to contest a capture and actually force a fight inside of the zone if they react quickly enough. We found this addition helps create more interesting clutch moments in endzone fights.
With the flag delay change we wanted players to fight for dominance and position before the flag spawns with this we should see some interesting team setups as they approach each round.”
As always, we welcome your feedback on this event.
Alongside the Versus event, we have a special Horde event for you this week, Boss Rush.
Boss Rush is summarised simply like this, for every wave you play, you will encounter a boss. There are ten waves to complete with each wave escalating in intensity and difficulty.
Alongside this event, we have a special medal group for you to complete, granting you 3,000 coins with each individual medal granting you progress towards your Tour of Duty. Medal details are below.
|Carrier Hunter||Get 5 Carriers Eliminations in the Boss Rush Horde Event|
|Snatcher Hunter||Get 5 Snatchers Eliminations in the Boss Rush Horde Event|
|Predator Hunter||Get 5 Predator Eliminations in the Boss Rush Horde Event|
|Matriarch Hunter||Get 5 Matriarch Eliminations in the Boss Rush Horde Event|
|Kestrel Hunter||Get 5 Kestrels Eliminations in the Boss Rush Horde Event|
Enjoy the carnage, and we will see you in-game!
After an exciting first month, Gears Glory continues with a focus on Black History Month.
We would like to celebrate the Black creators in our #GearsFam. Nominate yourself or, better yet, another content creator, streamer, or YouTuber who deserves a bit of love.
And if you’ve got a Del piece that gives love to the Gears 5 Techie, a Cole family portrait, or anything else? Share it! You can submit your community content via the hashtag #GearsGlory on Twitter and Instagram, throughout the month we’ll be highlighting our favorites culminating with our selected favorites at the end of February.
- Desert Armor Cole – 250 Iron
- First Minister Stroud – 250 Iron
- Overgrown Full Set – 850 Iron
- Lancer: Decapitation Execution – 300 Iron
- Mech vs Swarmak Banner – 100 Iron
- Collector’s Thrashball Cole – 250 Iron or 2,000 Gears Coins
- Thrashball Full Set – 595 Iron or 4,760 Gears Coins (30% off)*
- Gnasher: Punt Execution – 210 Iron or 1,680 Gears Coins (30% off)*
- Lancer: Spike Execution – 210 Iron or 1,680 Gears Coins (30% off)*
- Thrashball Cole – 175 Iron or 1,400 Gears Coins (30% off)*
- Thrashball Kait – 175 Iron or 1,400 Gears Coins (30% off)*
* Store items marked with this have been given a special discount of 30% as they are already in the essentials part of the store.
As we previously mentioned, we will be looking to re-release some older Chrome Steel skins, here’s what we have for you this week.
- Chrome Steel Kait – $9.99 USD
- Chrome Steel Fahz – $9.99 USD
And as a reminder, this is not the last of the older Chrome Steel re-releases be sure to keep an eye out for more of these as the weeks go by!
We have no doubt that you were expecting the re-up update this week. However, we needed to release 12.0.1 first in order to get there, now this is done we’re now in the process of doing the final pass for the update.
Stay tuned for a dedicated news post this Thursday which will dive into the full details of what you can expect.
With Gears Pop! closing on April 26, 2021, we promised to look into making the adventure towards the game’s conclusion that much more enjoyable. We’re happy to announce that we’ll be sharing more details at some point this week about events, the first win of the day Gear Packs as well as information on Pin upgrade costs/XP, stay tuned!
As a final note, a special hello to anyone joining us for this month from Games with Gold, we can’t wait to see you in-game!
Take care and have yourselves a wonderful week.